The Lease-to-Purchase Homeownership Program provides an opportunity for families to own a home within a five-year period. Eligible families enter into a Lease-to-Purchase Agreement with property owned by the Macon Housing Authority. Each family is assigned a Personal Advisor to assist them in becoming ready to enter into a permanent mortgage. The family’s rent calculation is based on 30% of adjusted annual income.
How to Qualify?
- Be a first-time homebuyer, or not have owned a house within the past three (3) years
- Family income must not exceed 80% of the national median income
- Have a minimum annual household income of $20,000
- Have responsible or repairable credit
- Have responsible rental history
- Have no felony criminal record
- Head of Household must 18 years of age or older
- Family members must be U.S. citizens
- Must be compliant with any lease entered into both at time of application and at time of selection
- Must participate in a Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Program
- Must be capable of assuming financial obligations of homeownership within five (5) years
- Applicants must complete a Lease-to-Purchase Homeownership application at the MHA main office.
- Applications are screened by a selection committee for initial eligibility requirements.
- Detailed eligibility criteria are verified, references are checked, and a criminal background check is completed.
- If determined eligible, the applicant is interviewed by MHA staff.
- Home visit of existing residence is performed.
- Homeownership Plan is developed with the Personal Advisor.
- Applicants are placed on a waiting list.
- After a walk-through inspection is complete, family is scheduled to move-in.
How do I apply?
Contact: Karen Middleton (478) 752-5097, or Laronda Eason (478) 743-1353.